Thursday, March 16, 2006

Perseverance Pays


Perseverance pays!
I have been on this diet/exercise program for a week now and I’ve lost 8 pounds. I feel fabulous. I feel beautiful, successful and determined.
For the first time in my life I feel as if I’m actually succeeding at something and I put it down to the fact that I want this more than anything.
I ate the food I was supposed too when I was supposed too. I went to gym three times a week for 45 minutes and met with the “group” on Saturdays to discuss the diet and the week ahead.
I find myself in a group of about seven women who all want the same thing: To change their lives for the better.
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t believe overweight people are ugly. I’m overweight and I’ve never really had a hang-up about this. Unless of course you take into account that I hate going to the Plus Size section of every clothing store, having to leave a clothing store because I’m told by the saleslady that their sizes only go up to a 12.
I panic whenever I know I’m going to see my parents because I’ve gained more weight since they last saw me. And I had to sacrifice not going on some rides at Disney last year because I didn’t think I would fit in the seats or because I’m so fat that maybe the darn ride will derail on the corner.
This is what the past five years have been like. So yeah, maybe I did have a hang-up over my body.
The worst thing was being on a flight to South Africa and having to ask the air hostess if I could eat my meal in the back of the plane (on their emergency seating) because the tray would not come down over my tummy.
I sat in the toilet crying because I was so embarrassed. And I didn’t think I was that big.
I guess I didn’t really see myself before – not really.
I was looking through some photos last night and couldn’t believe how big I allowed myself to get.
Never ever buy new pants because the ones you are wearing now don’t fit. Do something to loose the extra inches so that they will fit again. If you keep buying bigger clothing you will simply allow yourself to get bigger and bigger – until one morning you wake up and realise you’re in trouble because you’re in your 30s, your metabolism has slowed to a snails’ pace and you’re facing physiotherapy for your knees, special diet plans and endless blood tests for Type II diabetes and if you’re a woman – not being able to conceive. It’s a nightmare and it all comes down to what you carry with you everywhere – your extra weight.
I will succeed. I will not allow myself to fail because this is important.
While I might not have control over anything else, I will change the one thing I can – myself.

No comments: