Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I hate goodbyes


I said goodbye to my friend Melissa on Friday. She’s leaving for college to study journalism and while I’m thrilled that she’s beginning this new adventure in her life, part of me is screaming “No! Don’t go!”
Since we’ve been in Bermuda – going on almost five years now – Melissa is the first friend I’ve had since we left South Africa in 2000. Ok I did “hang out” with a few other girls, but they were never what I considered true friends. You always had to watch what you said around them and I was always worried about what they would think of me.
But with Melissa you could just be yourself. She showed me that I didn’t have to true so hard, or didn’t have to impress people for them to respect or like me.
She’s someone I shared my experiences with, someone who listened and seemed to understand. She was also a tremendous support in my weight-loss struggle and I will miss her jokes and little chats about nothing in particular.
I must admit I was very sad over the weekend thinking about coming back to work and her not being here anymore and then I realised how selfish that is because she has embarked on a wonderful and exciting adventure and even though she is going to be thousands of miles away – she’s living her life and making something of herself. I would never deny her that and anyone who would – should be shot.
So farewell Melissa and thanks for the wonderful eight months you shared with me.
I forgot how important “girl friends” are and I will miss you, but I wanted to thank you for showing me this. I promise I will find new friends and make an effort to keep them. You are a wonderful person and despite your age – you are very wise.Keep up the work and studies and remember that you will always have a funny South African in Bermuda who will miss you.

1 comment:

citizen student said...

((((hugs))))